Blackwood NP12 1BR
Telephone: 01495 232500
We provide nursing care for 24 adults over the age of 18 with:
- Acquired Brain Injury and requiring nursing care.
- Dementia/Mental Infirmity and requiring nursing care.
- Learning Disability with a primary diagnosis of Acquired Brain Injury/ Dementia/Mental Infirmity requiring nursing care.
- Mental illness (functional) with a primary diagnosis of Acquired Brain Injury/ Dementia/Mental Infirmity requiring nursing care.
- Neurological illness requiring nursing care.
The home has 24 bedrooms all of which meet and exceed the size and standards set by Care Inspectorate Wales. The home also fully complies with all regulations and standards as required by CIW.
We aim to deliver a provision of the highest quality to individuals who suffer with all types of Dementia, Acquired Brain Injuries (through trauma, stroke or other neurological events), Learning Disability, Complex Behavioural Needs, Chronic Neurological Conditions such as Huntington’s disease, Parkinson’s disease, Motor Neurone Disease, plus support for people with serious and enduring Mental Health conditions. We also aim to provide highest quality care needs associated with Palliative Care at the End of Life.
Our aim is to maintain and where possible, improve, the overall independence levels for people in our care through rehabilitation (if appropriate), outcome focused goals, stimulation and social integration in order to maximise potential, optimal functioning and to enjoy a valuable quality of life.
We appreciate that the care and support needs of our service users are unique, individual and can change over time; therefore we provide a flexible and responsive approach to meeting their ever changing needs. This is achieved through identification of training needs for staff, and our managers take the lead with clinical input of our service users at monthly internal Multi Disciplinary Team (MDT) evaluations at Cwm Gelli Care, this is to assist and support placements and referrals to external agencies should further assistance and support be required.
- Care Assistant Advanced Practitioners trained in Manual Handling, Occupational Therapy, Physiotherapy, Positive Behavioural Management (PBM) and Fundamentals of Care. These staff are employed by Fieldbay and work as and when required with individuals at Cwm Gelli Care.
- Physiotherapy – The Physiotherapists and Physiotherapy Advanced Practitioners employed by Fieldbay visit Cwm Gelli Care as and when required, assessing the physical abilities of those in our care and providing programmes and regimes for those who need to improve or maintain their physical abilities. They will work closely with the staff team to provide training for mobility and exercises either in lounges, bedrooms or the therapies room.
- Occupational Therapy – Our Qualified OT’s and OT Advanced Practitioners employed by Fieldbay, visit as and when required to carry out assessments on the Activities of Daily Living to help those in our care remain as independent as possible. They work closely with the Manager and support staff to provide opportunities for activities and outings. Those living with us will have a goal orientated programme which is fully explained to those who are able to understand its purpose. The OTs work closely with the rest of the therapy team and liaise with external providers for those who require additional specialist equipment like wheelchair services and orthotics. The OT service is tailored for our service users and can be delivered in groups, individually, at Cwm Gelli Care, or out in the Community utilising our minibuses.
- Speech and Language Therapy (SALT) staff employed by Fieldbay input into Cwm Gelli Care as and when required, to enable us to assess and advise of swallowing difficulties, lead on communication strategies and to access other services if necessary.
- Qualified Positive Behaviour Support and Management team members employed by Fieldbay, work with staff and service users at Cwm Gelli Care as needed, to monitor patterns of behaviour. The team provides ‘on the job’ training with the care assistants and individuals who need ‘Traffic Light Plans’ that detail a plan of managing their associated behaviours.
- Cwm Gelli Care has access to a full time Qualified Manual Handling Trainer employed by Fieldbay.
- Cwm Gelli Care care assistants are encouraged to train to their optimal functioning level and range from QCF 2 to QCF 5 qualifications and many undertake supervisory/advanced practitioner roles within the company.
- Cwm Gelli Care has access to a part time Consultant Psychiatrist, employed by Fieldbay, who will either undertake ‘shared care’ with an individual’s Psychiatrist or will undertake sole care if a person has no psychiatric input.