Upper Tumble ,
Carmarthenshire SA14 6BU.
We provide nursing care at Cwm Gwendraeth for 59 adults over the age of 18 who have:
- an acquired brain injury and requiring nursing care
- dementia / mental infirmity and requiring nursing care
- a learning disability with a primary diagnosis of Acquired Brain Injury and/or dementia / mental infirmity requiring nursing care
- a mental illness (functional) with a primary diagnosis of Acquired Brain Injury and/or dementia / mental infirmity requiring nursing care
- a neurological illness requiring nursing care
Cwm Gwendraeth specialises in caring for people who are often found to possess a level of behavioural and/or complex mental health/physical need that sometimes precludes them from being able to live in non-specialised mainstream social or nursing services.
We aim to deliver a provision of the highest quality to individuals who suffer with all types of Dementia, Acquired Brain Injuries (through trauma, stroke or other neurological events), Learning Disability, Complex Behavioural Needs Chronic Neurological Conditions such as Huntingtons Disease, Parkinson’s Disease, Motor Neurone Disease, etc., Mental Health Difficulties and the needs associated with Palliative Care at the End of Life.
Our aim is to maintain and where possible, improve the overall independence levels for service users through rehabilitation (if appropriate), outcome based care, stimulation and social integration in order to maximise potential, optimal functioning and to enjoy a valuable quality of life.
We appreciate that the care and support needs of our service users can change over time and we provide a flexible and responsive approach to meeting their ever changing needs. This is done through identification of training needs for staff and our managers take the lead with clinical input of our service users at monthly internal Multi Disciplinary Team (MDT) evaluations at Cwm Gwendraeth. This is to assist and support placements and referrals to external agencies should further assistance and support be required.
Specialist Services and Facilities
- Multi-skilled nurses with diverse expertise and qualifications such as Mental Health Nursing (RMN), Learning Disabilities (RNLD) and General Nursing (RGN) qualifications. Some have dual qualifications.
- Input from Care Assistant Advanced Practitioners employed by Fieldbay and trained respectively in Manual Handling, Occupational Therapy, Physiotherapy, Positive Behavioural Management (PBM) and Fundamentals of Care. These staff are employed by Fieldbay and work with individuals at Cwm Gwendraeth as required.
- Physiotherapy – The Physiotherapists and Physiotherapy Advanced Practitioners employed by Fieldbay visit Cwm Gwendraeth as required but usually weekly, to assess the physical abilities of those in our care and provide programmes and regimes for those who need to improve or maintain their physical abilities. They will work closely with the staff team to provide training for mobility and exercises either in lounges, bedrooms or the therapies room.
- Occupational Therapy – Our Qualified OT’s and OT Advanced Practitioners employed by Fieldbay, carry out assessments on the Activities of Daily Living to help those in our care remain as independent as possible. They work closely with the Manager and support staff to provide opportunities for activities and outings. Those living with us will have a goal orientated programme which is fully explained to those who are able to understand its purpose. The OTs work closely with the rest of the therapy team and liaise with external providers for those who require additional specialist equipment like wheelchair services and orthotics. The OT service is tailored for our service users and can be delivered in groups or individually at Cwm Gwendraeth, or out in the Community, utilising our minibuses. The O/T’s visit the Home several times a week.
- Speech and Language Therapy (SALT) staff employed by Fieldbay input into Cwm Gwendraeth, usually weekly, to enable us to assess and advise on swallowing difficulties, lead on communication strategies and to access other services if necessary.
- Qualified Positive Behaviour Support and Management team members employed by Fieldbay, work with staff and service users at Cwm Gwendraeth as needed, to monitor patterns of behaviour. The team provides ‘on the job’ training with the support workers and individuals who need ‘Traffic Light Plans’ that detail a plan of managing their associated behaviours.
- Cwm Gwendraeth has access to two full time Qualified Manual Handling Trainers employed by Fieldbay.
- Cwm Gwendraeth support workers are encouraged to train to their optimal functioning level and these range from QCF 2 to QCF 5 and many undertake supervisory roles within the company.
- Cwm Gwendraeth has access to a part-time Neuro-Psychologist and assistant Psychologists employed by Fieldbay.
- Cwm Gwendraeth has access to a part time Consultant Psychiatrist employed by Fieldbay, who will either undertake ‘shared care’ with an individual’s Psychiatrist or will undertake sole care if a person has no psychiatric input and requires same.