Pen-Y-Bont Court Nursing Home,
Ewenny CF35 5AW
Pen-Y-Bont Court provides nursing care for 43 adults over the age of 18 who have:
- Acquired Brain Injury and requiring nursing care.
- Dementia/Mental Infirmity and requiring nursing care.
- Learning Disability with a primary diagnosis of Acquired Brain Injury/ Dementia/Mental Infirmity requiring nursing care.
- Mental illness (functional) with a primary diagnosis of Acquired Brain Injury/ Dementia/Mental Infirmity requiring nursing care.
- Neurological illness requiring nursing care.
Pen Y Bont Court specialises in working with people who are often found to possess a level of behavioural and/or complex mental health need that sometimes precludes them from being able to live in non-specialised mainstream social or nursing services.
We aim to deliver a provision of the highest quality to individuals who suffer with all types of Dementia, Acquired Brain Injuries (through trauma, stroke or other neurological events), Learning Disability, Complex Behavioural Needs Chronic Neurological Conditions such as Huntington’s Disease, Parkinson’s Disease, Motor Neurone Disease, etc., Mental Health Difficulties and the needs associated with Palliative Care at the End of Life. Our aim is to maintain and where possible, improve the overall independence levels for service users, through rehabilitation (if appropriate), stimulation and social integration in order to maximise potential, optimal functioning and to enjoy a valuable quality of life.
Specialist Services and Facilities
- Care Assistant Advanced Practitioners trained in Manual Handling, Occupational Therapy, Physiotherapy, Positive Behavioural Management (PBM) and Fundamentals of Care. These staff are employed by Fieldbay and work weekly with our service users here at Pen Y Bont Court.
- Physiotherapy – The Physiotherapists and Physiotherapy Advanced Practitioners employed by Fieldbay visit Pen Y Bont Court weekly, assessing the physical abilities of those in our care and providing programmed regimes for those who need to improve or maintain their physical abilities. They will work closely with the staff team to provide training for mobility and exercises either in lounges, bedrooms or the therapies room.
- Occupational Therapy – Our Qualified OT’s and OT Advanced Practitioners employed by Fieldbay, are based on the site and visit weekly to carry out assessments on the Activities of Daily Living to help those in our care remain as independent as possible. They work closely with the Manager and support staff to provide opportunities for activities and outings. Those living with us will have a goal orientated programme which is fully explained to those who are able to understand its purpose. The OTs work closely with the rest of the therapy team and liaise with external providers for those who require additional specialist equipment like wheelchair services and orthotics. The OT service is tailored for our service users and can be delivered in groups, individually, at Pen Y Bont Court, or out in the Community utilising our minibuses.
- Speech and Language Therapy (SALT) staff employed by Fieldbay input into Pen Y Bont Court weekly, to enable us to assess and advise of swallowing difficulties, lead on communication strategies and to access other services if necessary.
- Qualified Positive Behaviour Support and Management team members employed by Fieldbay, work with staff and service users at Pen Y Bont Court as needed, to monitor patterns of behaviour. The team provides ‘on the job’ training with the support workers and individuals who need ‘Traffic Light Plans’ that detail a plan of managing their associated behaviours.
- Pen Y Bont Court has access to a full time Qualified Manual Handling Trainer employed by Fieldbay.
- Pen Y Bont Court care assistants are encouraged to train to their optimal functioning level and these range from QCF 2 to QCF 5 and many undertake supervisory roles within the company.
- Pen Y Bont Court has access to a part-time Neuro-Psychologist and assistant Psychologists employed by Fieldbay.
- Pen Y Bont Court has access to a part time Consultant Psychiatrist, employed by Fieldbay, who will either undertake ‘shared care’ with an individual’s Psychiatrist or will undertake sole care if a person has no psychiatric input.